Get the right software for your Trucking business
Here's how we work
Discover & Explore great softwares.
Technology has revolutionised every sector and every business. One sector which has typically benefited a lot from it is the trucking industry. It has made the job of the truckers easier by providing them the essential data. Many trucking management software businesses have thrived from the application of such softwares and tools. You can take your trucking business to another level by gaining automated data and real-time updates.Read More
Many small companies have also established themselves in the market with the help of technology. These softwares memorize things and make your job easier. Many fleet systems contain algorithms and AI that store all the critical data. Many devices allow the companies to make necessary changes in their delivery schedules.
It will enable the customers to add the delivery location and how much duration they need to make the product delivery. You can get daily or monthly data at your convenience. Some routing systems provide traffic data which allows companies to deal with delivery delays.
“Seeing a catering truck feels like home.”- Dakota Johnson
Automated softwares contains GPS and vehicle trackers that suggest the shortest possible routes and help drivers reach their delivery location on time. Many softwares allow the drivers to give their feedback. This will enable companies to solve problems, if any, and gain the drivers’ trust. This also assists the fleet companies in keeping account of delays and rescheduling the deliveries.
All the information is stored with the help of artificial intelligence and can be updated from time to time. You can use this data to know all about multiple routes and the most efficient ones. This increases a vehicle’s mileage and saves money on fuel. Dispatching software sends the most efficient drivers to the delivery routes and stores their feedback in the company’s databases. The data is vast in size; many softwares filters and arrange it all by themselves.
Vehicle routing and optimization is necessary for the trucking business. Many softwares, tools, and devices are available for the same. Some softwares helps companies with the next level planning by reducing the efforts needed to save the data manually. It helps to get rid of glitches in the process of transportation and planning. These software makes appropriate adjustments by themselves.
They provide drivers with service stations and places for refueling. The drivers can use these softwares to know where they can grab a bite or take a rest. AI helps reduce delivery delays and re-optimize driver schedules. Although these softwares are innovative, there are some limitations to their work.
Physical limitations of technology in trucking business:
1. Increase in population can harm the systems: As more and more companies are using technology to improve their work systems, the existing systems are disappearing. Many IT companies are working to reduce these problems and making end-time changes in the delivery and distribution.
2. Repetition in work: Most companies, including big corporations, re-send vehicles to the exact locations to perform similar tasks. Apart from totally relying on technology, the companies should hire workers who help maintain correct records.
3. Does not help in competition: Many transportation companies use the same software and tools for their operations. This can cause repetition of deliveries. Some shipping companies reduce their prices to attract new customers, which harms the market.
4. Increase in vehicle traffic: Many softwares guide the drivers to common road routes; this leads to an increase in traffic in common delivery locations. In some severe cases, traffic has gotten out of control leading to a massive loss in business.
Video Credit – fleetroot
You can conclude that your freight company needs to use truck tracking software that is intelligent and can control the workers efficiently. Many softwares allow multiple people to work on them at the same time. You can make changes in the delivery and driver work schedule according to your convenience. Using technology in your work is convenient and saves a lot of time and energy.
The workers can use this time to do other work and maintain relevant records. An intelligent truck routing software provides real-time updates to the companies. This helps to maintain transparency in business and helps to make business strategies in advance. You can improve your customer service if you make deliveries on time. People who are satisfied with a company’s services recommend it to their friends and acquaintances, which brings in more business.
Most softwares helps freight managers to gain an overview of the worker’s schedule. This allows managers to deal with end-time emergencies and assign other drivers in case of driver re-scheduling. The work process of a company does not get disturbed, and it can make deliveries on time. Many vehicle routing softwares contain a fuel calculator and GPS, which provides all information about the fuel consumed and the number of trips made. Overall, it can be said that the decision to invest in truck routing softwares a smart one.
In order to decide on a new software can be a challenging and difficult task. This is so because the transport department has innumerable administrative conditions for you to follow. But as per our experience, using commercial truck mapping software for the users across the US, there are certain basic things to keep in mind. Basically, we have five things which you need to consider when evaluating International Vehicle Registration and International Fuel Tax Agreement solutions. They are as follows:Read More
1) User Permission
2) Expertise of Carrier
3) Separate or Together
4) Quality of data
5) Fee Administration
We are going to focus on only one aspect which is very much important and is often overlooked. This is user permission. Getting permission is an overwhelming task. This may be a mundane thing of your regular operations, but can never skip it. It might not be the first thing that has clicked your mind but they are very crucial for your operations. You need to get permission to keep the important data safe and secure. Privacy is the major issue that must be tackled very diligently.
Before jumping onto individual user permissions, let’s focus on kinds of groups which will interact with the software. In major jurisdictions, there are 3 primary user groups who keep credentials of IFTA and IRP software. They are:
1) Agency Users: The employees of the state agency are majorly accountable for controlling the credentials of the carriers, receiving their registration as well as for payment of taxes.
2) Carrier Users: These representatives manage the credentials for the individual fleet or carrier.
3) Process Agents: They will represent more than one carrier at a time. They have the responsibility to give access to multiple carriers.
The user groups are divided within such categories so as to ensure user satisfaction at individualistic level whilst satisfying all the security and privacy standards at the same time. By allowing the users to access the information any time, they will be able to do their jobs perfectly. However, you need to make sure that they get access to just a required amount of data which is consistent to the requirements of the job. It should be neither less nor more.
By creating user permissions dynamically, you are able to provide a more relevant customer experience to the end user. Define your activities accurately and provide access privileges to limited user groups only. The application must be functional based so as to match the mental level of the customer thus ultimately reducing the interaction expenditures. The user groups must customize options to meet the requirements of the end users in an efficient manner. The most important features to look out for are to save time, improve the quality of data which is offered through the application. If it happens, it’s a totally win-win situation for you as well as for the customer.
“We’re only here for so long. Be happy, man. You could get hit by a truck tomorrow.”- Timothee Chalamet
Simple to Use:
One of the most important features to look out for is evaluating the software as a service. The application must be easy to implement the user permission as well as the other administrative capabilities. Giving the administrative personnel enough power to manage the users is a great thing to consider when keeping in mind the time limitations. It is quite a basic feature but make sure that while being user friendly you dont ignore the other important thing which is: managing user permission.
Size does matter:
In case you are a smaller company, consider having solutions that offer permissions which are more general in nature. This will restrict the complexity in the system when implementing it. The roles and parameters should also be limited. However, for large organisations, you can create flexibility in providing permissions so as to meet the required security standards.
One other neglected feature in user permissions is the way they respond in existing systems. Make sure that your software can be coordinated with other integrated systems perfectly. It will be highly desirable if your software can transfer user permission from one platform to another conveniently.
Video Credit – Incarnate ICT Pvt. Ltd.
The Bottom Line:
It can be a very boring task to evaluate the various alternatives on different bases. However, it is important to identify your needs and goals first. You must be clear about what you expect from a solution before purchasing or installing one. There are various truck route planning software solutions which can offer so much. But, you have to make sure to identify those features which are relevant to you. Prioritizing your requirements and then matching them with the features of the software solutions is a good thing to do. In this manner, you can make a list of softwares by comparing your preferences with the available options. The inconsistent solutions will be rejected right away. Make sure your mind is in the right direction when doing so.
Shipping and logistics companies are moving their goods across the globe on a daily basis. The biggest question they face everyday is which mode of transportation to choose to ship their goods. The whole shipment process needs careful planning as there are so many factors to consider before committing to a particular mode of transportation for the shipment of your goods.Read More
- The first thing you have to consider is the cost of transportation.
- Second factor is under how much time frame you want your goods to reach its destination.
- Total value of the consignment is also a factor to evaluate when deciding about the mode of transportation.
- Size and weight of the goods is also a very important factor while deciding the mode of transportation.
After going through all these key factors, you can carefully analyze all the available transportation options to decide which one is most suitable to you.
Modes of transportation
Transportation is the backbone of world trade and economy. Everyday so many goods are moving across the globe by various modes of transportation. Let’s discuss them in detail.
This is the most widely used and the most economical mode of shipment. It is believed that almost 85-90% of the trade or shipment is done by sea route. Depending on the size and weight of the consignment, there are few goods that can only transit via sea route. Sea freight is also very economical when compared with other modes of transportation.
There are many benefits of sea freight. It is the least expensive of all the modes of transportation. You can move everything via ocean freight and track with ifta calculator software. Weight and size are a non issue in this method of transportation. This method is exclusively used to move heavy commodities across the world. Agricultural products, metal ore, coal and crude oil etc are some examples that can only move through ocean freight.
While there are many benefits of the sea route, there are some shortcomings as well when it comes to the sea method of transportation. The transit time is longer in this method. Ships only move on a fixed time interval and you need another way of transportation from the port.
This is the fastest way to move the goods across the two places. High value and emergency cargos utilize this way of transportation. From the past few years, the usage of air freight has increased quite significantly and it is believed that air freight will show a decent growth in coming years too.
Wherever you need to transport something very quickly then the air freight is the way forward. It is built for speed and safety too. Companies can cover their just in time inventory requirements with air freight. But there are some disadvantages of this method too. First of all, it is the most expensive way of transportation. There are size, weight and material restrictions for the air freight. You cannot transport everything using the air freight method.
Train transportation is also another way to ship goods from one place to another. It is also one the most environmentally friendly options too. You can add so many bogies to the rail and transfer them easily. But you need a road delivery option at each train transit point. Sometimes, this can be a big hassle. Not all the rail transit points are easily accessible. This method is generally cheaper than road transport.
It is a very reliable mode of transportation. Single rail can haul a huge amount of cargo in a single trip. It is a very safe and quicker way of goods transportation.
Video Credit – Factor Finders
Road transportation is one the most widely used ways of transportation. With a single permit, you can transport goods across multiple states or countries. This method has a huge advantage over other modes of transportation.
It is a very cost effective mode of transportation for delivering goods quickly and within a tight schedule. Road freight delivers goods everywhere without restrictions. Other modes of transportation require you to pack the goods properly, but in road transit you don’t need to do that. Road transit offers you door to door service along with accurately ifta tracking software.
“The wussiest thing a guy can do is drive a clean truck. Dents, scratches and mud – that’s manly.”- Blake Shelton
But again this method also has weight and size limitations. Weather and road conditions can significantly impact your delivery schedule.
By multi mode transportation
Most of the time we have to utilize more than one mode of transportation in a single shipment. Multimodal transportation is best to keep your expenses in check and to ensure the proper utilization of air, sea, train and road transportation. This method helps customers deliver their products or goods to the end users safely and most economically.
There are multiple benefits of this mode of transportation. Goods can be shipped across the globe very easily using multiple modes of transportation. Customers have to negotiate with a single transporter for the expenses. This is the most efficient and economical mode of transportation.
The best cargo and freight transportation method
As you see there are many ways you can transport your goods from one place to another, but to figure out which method is the best is not so simple. Most of the time, the best method of transportation depends on the cargo itself. Cargo’s size, weight, type, material, destination and value are all important aspects you have to carefully consider before selecting the mode of transportation.
The most common question in the minds of people is what makes an owner-operator successful? People do not gain success by luck; they work hard to achieve it. To improve your trucking business, you need to keep many things in mind. Most truck owners have no idea that they are making mistakes while driving. This can cause a massive loss to the company and harm its reputation. Some habits that help you to be successful in the trucking industry are:Read More
1. Knowing all your work costs: All fleet operators should keep track of their hard-earned money. By keeping track of your expenses using a fuel mileage calculator, you can lower them and eliminate unnecessary ones.
2. Building your brand: If you want to stay in the transportation industry for a long time, you need to establish your name as a brand. This can be done by understanding your customers and by improving your communication with them.
3. Eagerness to learn new things: It is a known fact that you learn from your experiences. Most drivers join a fleet company to know the ins and outs of doing its work. This helps them gain much-needed experience, and they learn about the new technologies in the shipping business.
4. Maintain your bank accounts properly: Managing your accounts is the most crucial aspect of your work. As a driver, you should open your bank account and fund it with money.
5. Maintain good health: A good driver maintains his physical and emotional health. You need to keep yourself hydrated while driving and consume a healthy diet.
6. Practise safe driving: Driver safety helps companies to do their work efficiently. Many freight businesses opt for driving training workshops and programs for their drivers. This encourages drivers to drive safely and helps them avoid accidents or mishappenings.
Video Credit – Smart Trucking
7. Manage your money smartly: You need to manage your money smartly if you want to retain your services in the trucking industry for a long time. Unsatisfied drivers often opt for a job change which causes considerable losses to the transportation companies.
8. Never miss a day of work: If you want to be successful in what you do, you need to work for it. Show up for work whenever you can and only take time off when it is required. If the fleet demand is high, you can pick up multiple deliveries; this will increase your credit score and help you to increase your productivity.
9. Establish good communication with your workers: Learning about your customer needs is essential to establish your fleet business. You need to fulfill your orders on time and keep your customers happy.
10. Generate revenue: A fleet revenue consists of mainly two things, rate per mile and total distance covered. You need to choose your loads wisely and opt for the ones that pay you the highest rates. This will increase your profit percentage, ifta logs and generate much-needed revenue to help in business.
11. Select your load wisely: A successful fleet driver selects his loads wisely and is not afraid to work overtime. Heavy loads, while challenging to manage, increase your profits by a considerable margin. You can increase your earnings by carrying two heavy loads than a single lighter one.
12. Learn to manage your cash: All freight companies need to manage their cash processes. You can take the help of many softwares like ifta tracking software. You need money to pay your workers, maintain vehicles and buy business equipment.
13. Avoiding unnecessary financing things: Avoid buying something you can take on lease. Sometimes people buy things that they do not need. This leads to extreme credit debit. To avoid this problem, you need to use your credit card wisely.
14. Take time off when needed: All drivers work hard to make deliveries to the customers on time. But sometimes they need time by themselves to relax. Do not be afraid to take time off when you need it.
15. Be responsible: A successful vehicle operator does not shrink from taking responsibilities. Drivers maintain the safety of their vehicles, manage deliveries and practice safe driving. All these factors make you responsible, and companies assign you more work.
16. Understand the working of freight: You need to understand shipment working like fixed, yearly, quarterly and monthly expenses. All this information helps you to manage your time and select the proper loads.
17. Learn to manage your work in a week: Each week is essential in the freight business. You should ensure that you never take two weeks off simultaneously. Taking time off does more harm than good, and you lose out on your money.
18. Change freight if needed: You need to be open to change if you want to succeed. Things change to improve, be it new freight companies or new modes of transportation. You, too, can opt for a job change if you feel it is needed.
“There is more credit and satisfaction in being a first-rate truck driver than a tenth-rate executive.”- B. C. Forbes
19. Use technology when needed: Technology is helping people to do more work in less time. It allows you to stay at the top of your game and beat the competition with ease.
20. Stay motivated: Motivation is the key to attain success. It would be best if you are open to learn new things and organize your work. This helps you learn about new ways to do work and buckle up for recent changes in the transportation industry.
Oil and gas industry is a global powerhouse in terms of the huge revenue that it generates and the number of jobs it creates in the world. In terms of value, it is by far the biggest sector in the world. The oil and gas companies are the major driving force behind any country. Their impact on the gross domestic product or GDP of any country is very vital in terms of growth.Read More
Categorization of oil and gas industry
The oil and gas industry can be divided into three segments.
- Upstream : This segment or stage involves exploration and production of oil and gas. In this segment, the search of oil and gas fields and the drilling of wells is conducted. Oil and gas companies explore and research the potential target areas with the help of state of the art technology. Once they successfully identify and quantify the oil and gas reserves, then they can start drilling the oil and gas wells for the production purpose. This whole operation is conducted by very sophisticated machines with the help of the latest upstream oil and gas software. Any mishandling can cause a major fire accident.
- Midstream : This segment covers the transportation, storage and the processing of the raw oil and gas produced from the reserves. Once you obtain the natural resources from the field, then this raw oil and gas needs to be transported to the refineries. These refineries can be located in entirely different geographical locations, therefore the transportation can be done by various methods. This includes the oil tanker ships, trucking fleet and the direct pipelines from the oil and gas reserve. These refineries store and process the raw material.
- Downstream : This is the filtering stage of the natural resources unearthed from the oil and gas reserve. In this phase, the refining of crude oil and purifying of natural gas takes place. The crude oil and natural gas are refined into various petroleum products, these are natural gas, fuel oil (diesel), gasoline (petrol), lubricants, kerosine, LPG and various other petrochemical products.
By refining the crude oil and gas from the reserve we get many very useful products and byproducts. These products have a very important role in our daily life. Every person in the world uses at least one of the products obtained from the refinery.
Fuel oil (diesel) : Diesel is the primary source of energy to trucks and heavy machinery. This is also used to power our electric generators. There are many cars running on diesel engines these days.
Gasoline (petrol) : Gasoline is another high volume product refined from crude oil. This is the main source to power all our motor vehicles. Most of our cars and bikes use petrol as a primary fuel.
Natural gas : After purifying the raw natural gas, we get the natural gas for our household use. By compressing it, we get the compressed natural gas, which is a type of fuel for certain vehicles also. We also get the LPG or liquified petroleum gas, as a fuel source for our house.
Various other petrochemical products : Beside these above mentioned products, we also get lubricants, kerosine, asphalt, jet fuel and heating oil etc. Our crude oil is also the primary source for the multiple chemical products including pharmaceutical, agriculture fertilisers and many types of solvents and plastic.
“Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.” – Henry David Thoreau
Most of the global economies and their infrastructures rely on the oil and gas accounting software, oil and gas industry and their petroleum based products. Even though the level of the oil and gas reserve is falling day by day, it still has a major influence over global economics and politics. This industry provides so many jobs to the people. It is the single most driving force that can have both positive and negative effects on the GDP of a country. The oil producing countries are a major benefactor in this business.
Video Credit – The Institute for Oil and Gas Sector-IOGS
Most countries that don’t possess the mega oil reserves and rely heavily on the import of petroleum products have to spend a high part of their GDP on the import. This has a very significant impact on the development of that country.
Whether a country is producing crude oil and gas or importing it from other producing countries, the oil and gas industry has a huge effect on them. This is the single industry that can affect every single person in the world by the price fluctuations. While we enjoy the low prices sometimes, on a given day it can drain your pockets very quickly.
The transportation companies understand that the biggest hurdle in front of them is the truck route planning. Properly planning a truck delivery route is very hard work. Sometimes, even after a thorough route planning, you are still only able to save merely a few minutes. Therefore, the question arises whether it is worth it.Read More
Sometimes the truck carriers avoid the route planning and just use the dispatch services as they go into the warehouses. The only issue with the dispatch is that sometimes the multiple drivers end up in the same place. This will increase the operating cost quite a bit and you end up tying the resources at the same place. Proper route planning can save you on fuel and free up the trucks and drivers from tying up at the same place.
What Is Truck Route Optimization?
Truck route optimization is the process of providing the best route to the drivers to take the goods from the warehouse to the delivery point. This route also needs to be the quickest and the most cost friendly as compared to the other routes. This optimized route may not be the smallest one but surely the one that minimizes the driving time while delivering at multiple stops.
There Are Various Factors That Need to Be Considered Before Selecting the Route for the Trucks.
Window of Delivery
Most of the time the truck drivers need to deliver the goods at a certain timeframe and if that window of delivery misses they need to reschedule it again. Therefore it is very important to plan your route in such a way to meet all the customers’ demands and time window.
Vehicle Size and Load Capacity
Before assigning the vehicle for a particular delivery or deliveries, transportation companies need to keep in mind the weight of delivery items and assign the correct vehicle with the right load capacity for that route.
Real Time Tracking of Vehicle and Its Schedule
For truck route optimization, you need to know the schedule and location of all your trucks in real time. This will help you plan your routes in a way that you are able to avoid routing multiple vehicles in the same direction or proximity.
Real Time Traffic Information
Transportation companies can plan their routes effectively if they have the real time information of the traffic with them. If a preplanned route has traffic congestion due to any accident or weather condition, they can reroute their trucks to a less congested road.
There are some other factors which help in choosing the right route for your trucks. These are the number of stops in a route and how far they are from each other. If you try to achieve all this manually, it will be a very difficult endeavor for any company.
Therefore to effectively optimize your driver’s route, it requires a robust route optimization software to plan the best route for you.
How to Optimize Your Driver’s Route in 2021?
Truck route optimization is very essential in today’s cut throat era of competition. To stay relevant and profit oriented, most of the transportation companies choose a truck route optimization software to plan the cost effective and most efficient route for their truck drivers. A route optimization software can improve efficiency and save you a lot on fuel and other expenses. The only thing matter here is the selection of correct optimization software for your company. It will help trucking companies in multiple ways to optimize the delivery routes.
Video Credit – Grow by Joe
Help Visualizing the Delivery Routes
Manually planning a route often involves physical and paper maps or text only directions. This is not a very convenient way to go for planning your routes. Truck routing software visualizes the entire route and allows the dispatcher and the driver to see the entire route and all the stops perfectly. With real time traffic flow information, you can see who is going in which direction and provide the best route possible after synthesizing the whole data of traffic.
Save a Lot of Time
Without a route optimization software, sometimes multiple trucks end upbeing in the same direction. This makes your resources tied up and increases your operating cost and time. You can save a lot on time and cost by properly utilizing the route optimization software that can effectively schedule the routes. The routes are optimised in such a way that no two trucks end up in the same direction and free up your drivers too.
Automatically Assign the Driver and Route Without Too Much Paperwork
Route optimization software can auto dispatch the trucks and assign the drivers to the different trucks without any paperwork. Everything becomes digital where you don’t have to do anything physically. The software informs the respective driver where to go and when to deliver.
Transportation managers can set the rules for auto dispatch deliveries. This will streamline the entire route planning and reduce the need for human intervention.
Route optimization software not only provides you the best possible route but also gives you the real time information about the whereabouts of your trucks. This will help the transportation manager to inform the customer about their goods and the correct ETA. Once your customer has the knowledge of the delivery, you will end up receiving less support calls from them. This will improve the overall customer experience and that will result in repeat orders for your company.
Therefore, the best way to optimize your driver’s route is by utilizing an effective truck route optimization software to the fullest.